For example, take barbecue sauce. Before the mission, I hated it. I ate my pulled pork dry and put ketchup on my hamburgers. It smelled good, but the taste was, in the immortal words of every kindergartener, "ICK!" Same with orange juice. I never drank it because I couldn't stand the "metallic taste." At least, that's what I remember not liking about it. Breakfast in my house required two things of juice (and not just because one is never enough for ten people): apple for me, orange for everyone else. But now, I can't get enough barbecue and I love orange juice! In fact, I can't stand ketchup (even thinking about it makes me pull a face) and I never drink apple juice anymore because it's too sweet.
However, never once, not even in a dream of a dream, did I ever eat barbecue on the mission. There may have possibly been a point where I had orange juice, but if I did, I don't remember it particularly. How does coming to love kimchi and garlic affect your taste buds for barbecue and orange juice? I have no idea.
But I still don't like chocolate.

My changes in food preference have mostly worn off at this point.
ReplyDeleteNot true! You were craving chocolate the other day. Facebook told me so!!
ReplyDeleteThat was just the exception that proves the rule!
ReplyDelete