Sunday, February 6, 2011

It Is Enough

Yesterday I was reading in Matthew when I read in chapter 14 the story of the feeding of the five thousand (vv. 15-21). Usually I love chapter 14 for one of my favorite stories in the Bible, of Jesus walking on the water, but yesterday it was the story of the feeding of the five thousand that struck me particularly. 


The thing that stood out to me was the response of the disciples to Jesus' command to give the multitude food instead of sending them away to buy their own. They replied, "We have here but five loaves, and two fishes" (v. 17).  But what they forgot what that they also had the Savior there. The Son of God. They'd seen Him perform countless miracles and yet they still told the Savior that what He commanded was impossible. They didn't expect a miracle. They hadn't yet learned to know with all their hearts, like Nephi, that, "the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them" (1 Nephi 3:7). Instead, they looked at the situation literally, at their five loaves and two fishes and the thousands of people around them, and said it couldn't be done. They responded first, "We can't" instead of, "Lord, how should we?"


Of course, I am guilty of exactly the same mentality. So many times, in one way or another, I have told the Lord, "It is not enough." That "it" might be my abilities, my time, my inclination, even. Instead of replying with faith, as the brother of Jared did, "I know, O Lord, that thou hast all power, and can do whatsoever thou wilt for the benefit of man. . . . Behold, O Lord, thou cast do this. [I] know that thou art able to show forth great power, which looks small unto the understanding of man" (Ether 3:4-5), I say with the disciples, 'What I have is not enough to accomplish what Thou hast required of me. I cannot do it. It cannot be done.'


But it can, and it will if you have faith, because God is a God of miracle (see Moroni 7:27-33). And then, if you have faith and trust that the Lord knows more than you do, and that all things can be accomplished thorough faith in Him, the Lord will make whatever you have -- time, ability, resources, motivation, faith, anything -- enough, and to spare (see Matthew 14:17-20).

1 comment: