This morning I woke up on the floor of the living room. Of course, I was there on purpose, having slept there to escape the heat and humidity of the attic. But the view is quite different from the floor.
I've recently rediscovered how much I love the scent of Head&Shoulders shampoo. My sister has it in our shower at home, and everytime I shake out my hair or run my hand through it, I inhale the smell of it happily. There's something so nice about liking the smell of your hair. It's better than perfume, I think.
I'm so glad to be home and surrounded by all my books again. They're like old friends I'm getting reacquainted with again. Since most of my human friends are no longer in town, having moved away for jobs or school (or visiting family in Turkey, in one case), it's been especially nice to have them with me again.
My dad's been away since Tuesday, and won't be back until Sunday evening. Mom and I undertook our own DIY project in his absence, and its successful completion left my vanity very gratified. The cupboard under the sink has been an eyesore (and awfully smelly) for years now; Mom and I decided to do something about it. So she went to Tuck's and got $3 worth of linoleum (spelling?), I pulled everything out and cleaned out the cupboard, and we collaborated to get it properly cut and positioned, and now we have a lovely arrangement that looks (and smells) quite nice.
Home is a pretty slow kind of place. It's even slower and less bustling than Annapolis. Nothing much ever happens here. That used to annoy me to no end, and honestly, every once in a while it gets on my nerves now, too. I like to have things to do besides watching dramas, believe it or not. But I enjoy being home. I didn't used to like my town, but the older I get the more I do like it. I don't mind living in a small town, provided the education system is good. But then again, maybe I'll homeschool my kids. I'm debating that point. I don't know if I have the patience to have my kids home with me all day, or if I'll need to send them off to school just so I can regain my sanity. We'll see; that's a little ways off, anyway. It would be cool to teach my kids Euclid and Apollonius, though.
i love good smelling hair, books, under-the-sink cleanliness, small town life, and homeschooling.. sleeping on the floor, though? not so much!
ReplyDelete