Image can be found here
As I was searching for an image to go with my post, this one stood out among all the other angsty offerings Bing drug up for me. It struck me much more than the moody black-and-white shots of people curled up in corners. This image paints a much better picture of what loneliness is, at least for me. I'm not unhappy, I don't (usually) feel sorry for myself, I don't spend my time huddled in corners cut off from the rest of humanity -- it's just that, eventually, my life comes back to the solitary coffee cup on a bare counter.
My loneliness is not a loneliness of the kind that is characterized by a lack of social connections, or by a dearth of people who love and care for me. No, I have friends and acquaintances, and above all I have a family that I know loves me deeply. So what is it, then?

No comments:
Post a Comment