Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Evolution of Me

You know those graphics that show the evolution of man from Neanderthal to homo sapiens, going from stooped to upright? The same general principle holds for the pictures below.


I'm not even sure what I want to say about this, but the general feeling is one of disappointment. Yes, a part of that is that my waist is no longer that tiny (I can't get over how small it looks in that second picture -- I don't remember being that slender). I can't lie; I'd like to look like that again. But there's more. What I see -- and what you reading this can't see -- is all the memories and emotions and circumstances and attitudes surrounding each of the split seconds in time these pictures represent.

While I'd love to be a size six again, what I really wish I could recapture is the excitement, the anticipation, the innocence, and the hope in my eyes in those first few pictures. I miss that about myself. When did I get so cynical and fatalistic? When did I start "fixing" my problems with a large bowl of ice cream instead of working out my frustrations by going for a run? I don't know that the person I was in the first picture would recognize the person I am in the last picture.

When did that happen?

And how do I change it?


2 comments:

  1. Don't be so hard on yourself. I love the collages. You're so cute, in ALL of them. A big bowl of ice cream is yummy, even AFTER a run :) The hardest part is getting out the door. Make it a goal and conquer.. at least that's what I'm telling myself....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! There's a lot to be said for a big bowl of ice cream, but I miss how good I felt, and how confident I was, when I was running regularly. Not to mention I didn't huff and puff my way up stairs and hills back then. Since I'm currently carless I do quite a bit of walking, but I'm also making an effort to eat more healthy, too.

      Delete