Sunday, July 29, 2012

A Sisterly Perspective

Yeah, the one where I'm taller than her? That was taken a loooooooong time ago.
I'm not going to lie. Life feels pretty tough right now. Tough, and maybe a little bit pointless. It isn't (pointless), of course, but it feels that way. And it feels hard. And challenging. As I was telling my sister earlier while we were talking on the phone, obstacles in life seem insurmountable when you've got your nose pressed right up against them, scraping the brick (or whatever else your obstacles are made out of). It takes backing up twenty feet and scrutinizing them to realize that they're really a stepping-stone to where you want to be. What I'm struggling for right now is that perspective.

That's why I'm grateful for my sister. She's not the only sister I've got, but she's the only grown-up sister I've got and she also has the dubious honor of being my best friend. She gives me a little of that perspective, coaxing me to step back from where I'm stubbornly rubbing my nose into the brick, trying to wear a hole through it, and see the bigger picture. I've got a lot of blessings, but I think she's one of the best. Thanks, sis, for being my perspective and my best friend. I couldn't do it without you.

1 comment:

  1. Aw! I love you two sisters! :) AnnMarie, thanks for your comment on my blog. And heck yes it is really hard to step back and get that perspective sometimes. I'm also really glad for good talks with people you love and trust because it really makes me feel so much better. :)

    ReplyDelete