Friday, August 20, 2010

Due to not falling asleep until three this morning, I woke up late and groggy to the sound of the baby (not mine, I'm living with a friend this year and she has an eight-month-old little boy) working himself into something of a frenzy. It was only just ten, and his mom had already had a bad day. The conversation that ensued after putting him down for his nap has made me ponder a few things today.

Communication. It's all-important to any kind of relationship, whether you're friends, employee-employer, or spouses. Or even parent and child, even up to and including our Heavenly Father.

Our lives really do revolve around our choices. There are a lot of things in life that you don't choose, it's true; but in every situation there is a choice, even if that choice is nothing more than deciding between having a good attitude or a bad one. And in the end, we will be held accountable for those choices.

I'm so glad that God is the final judge. I'm so glad that He knows everything about our circumstances and our hearts when we make those choices, and that we have a Savior who gives us the opportunity for second chances, so that He can be both merciful and just. And I'm so glad that's not my job. We humans are so imperfect and so limited; it is wonderful to have confidence in a perfect Heavenly Father who both loves us and wants us to be happy. I'm so glad that He will always do what will make us the happiest in the long run, and is patient enough to listen to our short-sighted rantings about how "life isn't fair" or "I can't believe this could happen to me". I don't always do a good job of showing my appreciation and gratitude by my actions, but I am grateful.

This all makes me realize how much I need to step up, fix my avoiding ways, and take responsibility for the choices I make. Because even making no choice is making a choice by default; only we forfeit the opportunity to do our best with the situation or the circumstances when we act that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment