Saturday, January 30, 2010

눈이 왔어

I grew up in places where it snowed. A lot. First Logan, in the Wasatch Mountains, then in Bozeman, where we played outside on the playground before school until the temperature dropped to zero degrees (Fahrenheit, not Celsius). Then when I was in middle school we moved to Tennessee, and I haven't seen much of the snow since. I've missed it. So many of my childhood memories of winter involve bulky snowsuits, lost mittens, our boots making wet tracks on the floor, the cold wind stinging our cheeks, sledding, snowmen, snowballs, snowangels...anything you could possibly make out of snow. I love the hush that covers the earth when the snow comes, and the soft, pale grey of the sky when it falls. I love the crunch of it under my feet, the white frosting that covers everything and makes the winter world into a winter wonderland.

Rick and me on our way to get food after an exciting drive home from the temple

So you can imagine my unbridled joy when I came out of the temple this morning to find it snowing heavily and two inches already on the ground! Could anything be better than to be surround by lovely, sparkling, brilliant snow after coming out of the temple? The only thing that dimmed my enthusiasm for the snow was the two-hour drive home - the two-hour drive that normally takes only an hour. And the fact that because Rick's brakes are not so good after he had a little accident the last time he drove in snow, we went between 15 and 30 mph all the way home, sometimes slowing to barely 5 mph. And we fishtailed some, failed to get the chains on, and didn't get to have Korean food for lunch. I am a slight bit miffed about that. But still, we made it home in one piece, I didn't have to go to work because of the snow, and campus looks just like a snow globe! It's definitely picturesque. Too bad a bunch of meanies have already ruined the snow so I can't take a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment