Monday, June 22, 2009

Of Bug Bites and Boys

It's been a little bit of time since I updated, so I thought I'd take a second to do that tonight. These last few weeks at work have been hectic -- hectic the way only 40-odd kids can be. I love my job, but there's no denying that it takes a lot of patience and engery. Good mom training.

In the last two weeks, I've been sunburned three times, twice pretty badly; gone swimming three times (which is three times more than I have in the last two years); broken a pair of sunglasses without touching them or otherwise coming into contact with them in any way (still trying to figure that one out); been so sore that I couldn't get up off the floor; gone two days and 100 miles without showering and air conditioning; and received 30+ mosquito bites. Those last two were accomplished this last weekend, when my sister and I went on a little camping trip with some of the LDS singles in our region.

We left for Land Between the Lakes Friday after work, having thrown together an overnight back at the last minute and slinging a tent and some sleeping bags into the back of our (air conditioning-less) car. We drove up there, windows down, feet on the dash (mine, not Heidi's, since she was driving) and arms hanging out the windows, belting out the songs on the radio. It was a lot of fun, and after stopping for directions only once and consulting the map while sitting in the middle of the road only twice, managed to arrive and set up camp. Unfortunately for us, as we later figured out, we selected a less-than-stellarly-brilliant camping spot. One, it was right in the middle of a high-traffic area; two, it was right under a street light (no idea why that was there); three, not only was the light emitting light and thereby making it light, it was attracting lots of noisy, annoying bugs; four, there was no breeze whatsoever. I slept horribly, when I slept at all.

The next morning, we didn't get to sleep in and were awoken by the sounds of breakfast being made (I forgot to mention, we also cleverly placed ourselves near the main campfire and the center of all-hours socialization), gave it up as a bad job, and just got up. We ate, changed into our swimsuits, broke camp, and headed down to the lake.

...To be continued later, I just found out that my sister got locked in a bathroom at work for five hours...

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about your camping nightmare!
    The Bee rug is a hand-knotted rug made from wool with silk bees. It was made in China. Want one?!

    ReplyDelete